Working hours for all excavation permit types are 9AM-3PM for arterial and collector streets Monday through Saturday. All other streets are 7AM-7PM Monday through Saturday. Any excavations outside these times will require approval from the Director of Public Works. No work is permitted on Sundays or major holidays without written permission from the department.
Street Opening Permit
- This permit type will allow you to dig within the street through the curb and continuing through the sidewalk up to the public right-of-way.
- Typical use of this permit type is for rebuilding or replacing curb, water service work, gas service work, driveway reconstruction etc.
- This permit will not allow you to make any sewer or drainage connections to city infrastructure within the public right-of-way.
Street Opening - Waste Water
- This permit type will allow you to dig within the street through the curb and continuing through the sidewalk up to the public right-of-way for drainage work.
- Typical use of this permit type is for replacing an existing sewer lateral or connecting drainage to the city infrastructure
- This permit type includes an extra sewer inspection fee for tying into the city sewer infrastructure.
Excavation In the Sidewalk Area Only
- This permit type would be used for excavating within the sidewalk area only including through driveways.
- Typical use of this permit type is any excavation to be contained within the sidewalk and esplanade area for sidewalk reconstruction or repair.
- This permit type will not allow you to adjust the curb within the street.
- This permit type will not allow you to excavate and reconstruct a driveway.
Street Opening - Sewer Only
- This permit type is used for scheduling a required inspection for either terminating a sewer lateral temporarily or connecting to an existing sewer stub that is outside the public right-of-way but connecting to city infrastructure.
- This permit type will not allow you to excavate in the public right-of-way.
- This permit type allows you to excavate in the grass, gravel or other place.
- An esplanade is the area on either side of the sidewalk in the permeable surface, if no sidewalk exists this would include the area behind the curb up to the public right-of-way.
- This permit type will not allow you to adjust or modify the granite curb.
Street Occupancy Permit
- This permit will allow you to occupy metered parking spaces without having to feed the meter.
- With this permit you can reserve more than one parking space for multiple days to fit your needs.
- Within a Street Occupancy Permit, a crane permit, includes two (2) Parking Spaces, an adjacent lane closure for outriggers, and a sidewalk closure to be able to lift loads over.
- Each parking space is 20 feet in length. If your going to need more space just add more parking spaces.
- If you maintain occupancy outside the permit details additional fees and violation charges will apply.
- For the Parking Division to be able to enforce towing if you have parking spaces reserved you need to pickup and post it as no parking 12-hours in advance of your scheduled occupancy.
- This permit will not allow you to occupy handicap or no parking areas.
Sidewalk Occupancy Permit
- This permit will allow you to close the sidewalk from the nearest ADA accessible crossing to the next on either side of your location.
- Additional Fees apply if your planning on having a vehicle, lift, dumpster or any other heavy equipment placed on the sidewalk.
- You are required to maintain ADA access on either side of your closure.
- If a pedestrian detour is required you will need to provide adequate signage to route people around.
- If you maintain an occupancy outside the permit details additional fees and violation charges will apply.